Pentathlon Ireland – Fencing Coach
Pentathlon Ireland is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic fencing coach to join our High Performance Team.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right coach to work with our High Performance Athletes in the lead-up to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, as well as establishing a successful pathway programme to develop athletes of the future.
To apply, please send a cover letter and CV by email to Paddy Boyd at email@example.com by the 7th of December 2018. The most suitable candidates will be invited to an interview in Dublin at the earliest available opportunity with a view to start commencing in January 2019. (Dates may be flexible if the right candidate has current contractual commitments).
JOB TITLE: Pentathlon Ireland Fencing Coach
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Performance Lead (PL)
MEMBER OF: Pentathlon Ireland High Performance Team
TYPE OF CONTRACT: 12 months, renewable, subject to review
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours a week, which will include evenings, weekends and public holidays
SALARY: To be discussed at interview
LOCATION: National Sports Campus, Dublin, Ireland
NB: The successful candidate will be expected to undertake such travel as is necessary to fulfil the duties of the job – all travel expenses will be covered by Pentathlon Ireland.
JOB PURPOSE: The Fencing Coach will be responsible for all athletes on the Pentathlon Ireland (PI) High Performance Programme (HPP) and the development pathway. The main purpose of the post is to lead the coaching and training elements in consultation with the High Performance Team. They will contribute to the achievement of the HPP aims, objectives and targets through the following
- Manage the development and implementation of individualised training plans for each athlete
- Ensuring that the aims and objectives of Pentathlon Ireland are met
- Work closely and effectively with the Performance Lead(PL), other sport specific coaches and wider High Performance Team to further the overall development of the HPP and development pathway
- With the PL be responsible for putting together an individualised programme of activity for each athlete that aligns with their personal development and the plans of the HPP
- To take primary responsibility for delivering high quality individual/group coaching aligned with the principles of the HPP and development Pathway
- To provide guidance and support to coaches working with development athletes as well as PI introduction and development events
- To monitor and support individual athlete development programmes, providing feedback to athletes and PL and to implement performance reviews of athletes to ensure we maximise their opportunities to develop as high performance athletes
- To encourage a true development environment that focuses on long-term success in a high performance environment
- Lead with the PL on initiatives to identify athletes capable of progressing through the programme
- Positive ambassador for Pentathlon Ireland and the High Performance Programme
- Level 2 or above coaching qualification or equivalent
- A good understanding of the English language and proven ability to communicate complex information, orally and in writing, in terms that are easily understood by a range of audiences
- Demonstrated experience of working on successful programmes with High Performance athletes
- High technical and tactical coaching standard with the ability to adapt to the fencing style of athletes and able to identify strengths and weaknesses both in a training and competition environment
- Knowledge and experience of Modern Pentathlon fencing, including techniques, tactics, coaching trends and international developments
- An understanding of World Class standards and how to develop optimal conditions to develop World Class Pentathlon Fencers from talent to podium Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead and inspire others to achieve goals
- Proven use of IT systems and high level of competency in the use of MS Office, Excel and power point
- Ability to thrive in a pressured environment of irregular and long hours, and capacity to travel domestically and overseas for extended periods
- Personal integrity and the ability to invoke trust and respect from others